Time is one of our greatest assets, yet it often seemingly passes through our lives without much thought or appreciation. One aspect of this is how little time we spend planning for our futures. Americans on average spend more time buying a flat screen TV than planning for an IRA investment for their retirement years according to an annual survey by TIAA-CREF. While this is just one example, we certainly find it very true that most people spend more time planning a week vacation than they do retirement planning.
The average amount of time reviewing and preparing taxes ranges from 10-16 hours. They are so time intensive for two reasons:
- The tax code and forms are complex. And so is every other aspect of financial planning!
- You are required to file your taxes. Imagine if you were required to spend even an equal amount of time on your personal financial planning.
This would be a huge step forward for many people, but how far would you get? Could you….
- Understand how human emotions trip up the best laid plans?
- Select an investment allocation and develop a long term strategy during difficult times?
- Ensure you’re saving & investing properly for your financial independence?
- Set financial goals and quantify how to achieve them?
- Ensure you’re properly insured, but not spending more than necessary?
- Not just prepare your taxes, but continuously be tax planning?
The time it would take to replicate the experience and knowledge of a dedicated team of comprehensive financial planners & CPA’s would be daunting…that’s why most don’t bother. It is our full time job and passion; let us save you the time of tax planning and prep, and redirect that time towards meaningful long term planning.